Can getting physical improve your mental health? You bet! In addition to improving your physical health, exercise can relieve stress, improve your mood and give you a break from everyday worries.
- Feel more relaxed and positive due to the endorphins (hormones) released while you exercise
- Get a positive distraction from worries and anxieties
- Your brain is able to digest information, solve problems and engage in creativity while you sweat, stretch and pump
- Boost your self-image and appearance as you control your weight and tone up muscles
- Improve the quality of your sleep for increased vitality
To reap the powerful beneficial effects of exercise, follow these tips:
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day.
- Exercise at least five days a week.
- Do something you enjoy to get motivated and keep exercising.
- Include some endorphin-producing, moderate intensity aerobic exercises.
- Invite a friend to exercise with you.
- Experiment with different types of exercise and different activities to find the ones that help you the most.
- Try keeping an exercise/mood journal to track your state of mind before and after sweat sessions.
Remember… It’s always a good idea to speak to your healthcare professional before starting any new exercise program.