Adversity is a fact of life and can’t be controlled. But in the face of life’s challenges, you can nurture yourself in different ways to find peace of mind and feelings of optimism and joy once again. Here are some suggestions.
- Learn how to rest well, says stress expert Eli Bay, who is president of The Relaxation Response Institute in Toronto. Take a structured program such as meditation or relaxation training, or try a guided meditation (on CD) or a restorative yoga class
- Put your problem into context by asking yourself: ‘How important is my issue in terms of the bigger picture?’
- Think about the positives in your life, and be grateful.
- Journal. Writing down thoughts and feelings about what you are going through helps to process events and release emotions.
- Seek inspiration (faith, a book, etc.)
- Volunteer and/or find a hobby.
- Enjoy the innocence and beauty of nature (birds, puppies, etc.)
- Confide in someone you trust.
- Take a vacation.
- Have a massage – relaxing your muscles can change your mental state, says Bay.
Visualizing something calm can help you deal with difficult situations. Here is a simple visualization exercise to try from Eli Bay.
Imagine a turbulent lake. Now imagine the wind dying down...and the water calming down too. See the calm, tranquil water as you repeat “I am calm, I am calm.”