It might seem obvious, but remember to breathe! While you may not have time to go to a spa during the busy holiday season, you can make time for yourself. Between holiday parties, shopping, cooking and concerts try a little deep breathing – it’s the simplest and most natural way to relieve stress! So step back, relax and breathe, it will work wonders to keep your frazzled mind feel more centered.
TIP: Sit or lie down comfortably in a quiet place, and try this simple exercise for a few minutes:
- Close your eyes and loosen any muscles you feel are tense.
- Place one hand on your upper chest and the other on your belly just above your waist.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose, but focus on feeling your stomach expand, not your upper chest. You should feel the hand on your stomach rise.
- Breathe out slowly through your mouth.
- Repeat on the count of 3 (breathe in 3 – breathe out 3) and progressively increase the count as you relax.
You probably feel better already. If you don’t, then take another minute or two. You’ll get there ... just keep breathing.
Variation 1: Breathe in through your belly and this time allow your chest to expand and widen, filling up your entire lungs, from bottom to top.
Variation 2: After you breathe in, hold your breath for the same count. For example, breathe in for 3, hold for 3, breathe out for 3.