What is DETROL LA?
DETROL LA is used for the treatment of the symptoms of overactive bladder, which include frequency, urgency, and urge incontinence.
What does DETROL LA do?
Tolterodine (the active ingredient in DETROL LA) works to prevent bladder contractions or spasms. This results in more bladder capacity and less frequency, urgency and involuntary loss of urine.
What are the ingredients in DETROL LA?
Each capsule contains film-coated beads of 2 mg or 4 mg of the active ingredient, tolterodine L-tartrate. The film-coated beads dissolve over time, releasing the active ingredient over 24 hours.
Nonmedicinal ingredients include: sucrose, starch, hypromellose, ethylcellulose, ammonium hydroxide, medium chain triglycerides, oleic acid, gelatin and FD & C Blue 2. The 2 mg capsules also contain yellow iron oxide. Both capsule strengths are imprinted with a pharmaceutical grade ink, Opacode White S-1-7085 that contains shellac glaze, titanium dioxide, ammonium hydroxide, propylene glycol and simethicone.
How do I store DETROL LA?
- Store at room temperature 15oC to 30oC. Protect from light.
- You should not use your medication after the expiration date printed on the carton and label.
- Keep all medications out of the reach of children. This medication could harm them.
Learn More: Taking this medication >
How do I take DETROL LA?
Take DETROL LA as instructed by your doctor. Do not increase, decrease or stop taking DETROL LA without first talking to your doctor. The usual starting dose is 4 mg once daily, but may be decreased to 2 mg once daily. The capsule should be swallowed whole. DETROL LA can be taken with food.
When should DETROL LA not be used?
You should not take DETROL LA if you have:
- Urinary retention
- Gastric retention
- Uncontrolled narrow angle glaucoma
- Known hypersensitivity to tolterodine L-tartrate or any of the other ingredients in DETROL LA
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss taking your capsule, take it as soon as you remember. But if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and just take the next dose. Do not take more than one dose at a time.
What should I do in case of an overdose?
Do not take more capsules than your doctor has told you to. If you take too many tablets by accident, call your doctor or pharmacist or a poison control centre immediately.
Can I take DETROL LA with other medications?
The following list includes some, but not all, of the drugs that may increase the risk of side effects while receiving DETROL LA. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any other medication with DETROL LA.
Drugs that may interact with DETROL LA include:
- Other drugs that possess antimuscarinic/anticholinergic properties (drugs that cause blurred vision, constipation, dry mouth, etc.)
- Antifungals (drugs to treat fungal infections, such as fluconazole, ketoconazole, or itraconazole)
- Antibiotics (ie. erythromycin, clarithromycin)
- Cyclosporine (a drug to prevent rejection of organ transplants)
- Vinblastine (a drug to treat some types of cancer)
- Antiarrhythmics (drugs that stabilize the heart rhythm function, such as procainamide, quinidine, amiodarone, sotalol, etc.)
- Antidepressants (mood disorder drugs)
- Antipsychotics (drugs to stabilize thinking and behavior)
- Anti-asthmatic (salmeterol)
Learn More: Safety information >
Can DETROL LA cause any side effects?
As with most drugs,
Tell your doctor or pharmacist right away if you suffer from any of the following side effects while taking this medication:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Decreased tear production (dry irritable eye)
- Blurred vision
- Palpitations (sensation of rapid, pounding, or irregular heart beat)
- Difficulty in urination (passing water)
The most common side effect is dry mouth. Less commonly reported side effects are headache, constipation, dizziness, fatigue, abdominal pain and dry eyes.
If you experience any symptoms of a possible heart rhythm disturbance, such as dizziness, palpitations (sensation of rapid, pounding, or irregular heart beat), fainting, or seizures, you should stop taking
Check with your doctor or pharmacist right away if you have any bothersome or unusual effects while taking
Use caution while driving or using machinery until you know how
Allergic reactions are uncommon. If you experience one, stop taking
This is not a complete list of side effects. For any unexpected effects while taking
Are there any serious warnings or precautions that I should know about?
DETROL LA may have an effect on the electrical activity of the heart. This effect can be measured as a change in the electrocardiogram (ECG).
It is important to follow the instructions of your doctor with regard to dosing or any special tests. In very rare cases, drugs with an effect on the ECG can lead to disturbances in heart rhythm (arrhythmias/dysrhythmias). These heart rhythm disturbances are more likely in patients with risk factors, such as heart disease, or in the presence of certain interacting drugs.
If you experience any symptoms of a possible heart rhythm disturbance, such as dizziness, palpitations (sensation of rapid pounding, or irregular heart beat), fainting, or seizures, you should stop taking DETROL LA and seek immediate medical attention.
BEFORE you use
- You are pregnant, or trying to become pregnant
- You are breastfeeding your child
- You have myasthenia gravis (a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disease which causes muscle weakness)
- You have stomach problems affecting passage and digestion of food
- You have liver problems
- You have kidney problems
- You are taking medication bought without a prescription. They may affect your condition, or how
DETROL LAworks for you.
- You are a female or are over 65 years in age; you have a disorder known as Long QT Syndrome; a heart disease; a history of stroke or brain hemorrhage; a personal history of fainting spells; a family history of sudden cardiac death at <50 years; electrolyte disturbances (e.g., low blood potassium levels); an eating disorder or are following an extreme diet; diabetes, especially with associated nerve disorders
Exclusive DETROL LA doctor discussion guide!
Be prepared for your next doctor’s appointment and get information about DETROL LA.